Thursday, August 29, 2013

Modern Stitching Bee: Quilted

It is with great excitement that I show you my new gorgeously quilted Modern Stitching Bee quilt!  It was recently quilted by Emily on her wonderful frame and I am absolutely thrilled with the results!  Look!  Look!

Photo by Emily
As Emily's frame is new to her, she is offering a basting service to anyone who doesn't fancy loosing their dignity and crawling all over the floor to baste a quilt.  Although she is not taking quilts from the general public for quilting quite yet, she's happy to take quilts from folks who are willing to let her learn/grow in her quilting skills.  Now I know Emily is phenomenal, so I was more than happy to give her my quilty baby.

Photo by Emily
The Modern Stitching Bee was incredibly important to me as I had such great bloggy friends included in the hive.  I loved each and every month we had together for the laughs and the quilty inspiration.  I was Miss November and chose a Depression  Block for the ladies to make.  I was a bit slow contributing my own blocks...still making them in January after the hive blocks arrived!  I needed to add a few extra to bring it up to size.  Since winter, it's been a finished top hanging over the shop door waiting to be layered and quilted.

Photo by Emily
But when making my Q2 and Q3 FAL goal lists, including the goal to finish this quilt (!!!), I realized both Emily and I would be the Fat Quarterly retreat in London.  I thought it would be a great opportunity for us to do a quilty hand off.  I happily gave her the finished top, batting and back (with signature blocks) and we chatted with Leanne to decide how it should be quilted.  We eventually decided on an infinity loop.  I wanted something bubbly to counterbalance the edges of the HSTs, but I didn't want it to be over quilted so that it would remain soft.  The infinity loop is perfect.  Before handing it off to Emily, we took a hive photo at the retreat.  How fun to get nearly half of the hive together!  The folks below are from the UK, Canada, Ireland and the US.  Amazing.

Photo by Leanne and Laura Jane
Susan, me, Leanne, Emily, Nicky and Di
Anyway, Emily has just finished it off and sent it over to Galway in the post.  Today it arrived and I am bubbling with excitement at the real deal in front of me.  I just need to get a binding on this old friend and we'll call it finished.  I am so excited to put it to use watching movies this winter.  Emily, it's gorgeous.  Thank you!!!



 I have just realized I need a name for this quilt.  Any suggestions?  



22 comments:

Sophie Belle Designs said...

Infinity and beyond!!
It's a beauty, well done to all x

Susan said...

Nice job!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pennydog said...

Oh that's lovely, Emily can practise on my quilt tops any time ;)

Nicky said...

Nothing depressing about this quilt is there! It is gorgeous and Emily has done a fabulous job!

Tomomi McElwee said...

It's so pretty!

Sarah Lou said...

Beautiful quilt! Emily did a great job :D

Lynne said...

Wow! I love it -- love the colours, love the layout, love the backing! Cool!

cheeky monkey said...

Lucky you having this beauty soon finished in your living room! Gorgeous quilting!

Tammy said...

Very pretty finish.

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

I just love scrappy quilts and your HST look great! Nice finish.

Katy Cameron said...

Hmm, Coming Up Rainbows In The Depression maybe? Although given my quilt naming, you probably don't want to listen to me ;o)

Sarah said...

Such a shame its called the depression block, that quilt couldnt be any cheerier! Its looking great, and I know from experience that Emilys quilting is superb!

Indianna said...

I think it's quite the opposite of depression...on a high! And that quilting by Emily is fab.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Awesome Anti-depressant!!!

Emily did a fantastic job x

Leanne said...

It is perfect with the quilting, Emily did a fantastic job! I think that it just shines. It is funny that the depression block name is equated with the state of mine/illness in the UK when I equate it with the 1930's North American Depression which is when, I think, it dates back to. I think it was intended to be a optimistic and happy use of colour and value in a quilt in a time when funds were scarce and people quilted with scraps.

Cindy Sharp said...

Your quilt is fantastic! Well done.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's perfect!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Beautiful! Emily did an amazing job!

Kirsten said...

Love how bright and cheery this quilt is!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

It looks amazing!!! I can't wait to work on mine in 2014!!!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

It looks beautiful. Emily turned it from fab to fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch Cúchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views